Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Back To Bikram


About a year and a half ago, I convinced a friend of mine to try Bikram Yoga with me.  We both signed up for the two week beginner trial and at the end of it only I decided to continue with it.  I tried for a couple more weeks by myself and then I just stopped going.   I think I expected to see results quickly and when I didn't, I made up all sorts of reasons why it just made sense to stop.   It took up too much time, it was a pain to park, gas prices were climbing, the studio was moving to a new location---you name it and I probably used it as an excuse.

But the thing is...Bikram Yoga has haunted me since I stopped attending late in the winter of 2012.   I've thought often about returning and the monthly newsletter arrived like clockwork in my email.   I wanted to go back but I kept making excuses---no, let me amend that--I didn't make excuses; I just recycled the old ones!   Then, a couple weeks ago I decided that I was going sign up again and THIS time I wouldn't make excuses.  This time I would understand that my practice was an ever changing but slow process.

My friend Missy expressed an interest in yoga and I told her I wanted to go back to Bikram Yoga and asked her if she would be interested in coming with me.   She was but not until the following week.   Impatiently, I agreed to wait for her and in the end it was just as well that I had to wait because two days later I came down with bronchitis and spent the next several days feverish and hacking up my lungs.   It ended up being a good thing because having to wait to start class again only gave me more time to think on yoga being about the process and not the end result.

Missy and I decided we would take our first class on Thursday at 6 am.   The night before I texted her to remind her but didn't get any reply.   I was torn--should I go anyways or wait for another day?   I gave it some thought but decided that I needed to do this for me.   The first step was mine to take and if Missy decided to join me then great but if not that was okay too.   I set my alarm for 5 am and went to bed early.

Tomorrow was going to be my first day back to Bikram Yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment