Thursday, January 16, 2014

I Didn't Remember It Being This Hot!

Yup, felt exactly like this
I woke up several times the night before my return to Bikram Yoga.  I'm not sure why I was nervous because when I walked into the new studio, the teacher at the desk was very sweet and helpful and even gave me the Welcome Back Special.   It's identical to the new student trial package--unlimited classes for two weeks for $20--but it really did make me feel good about coming back.

This was the first time I had been in the new studio and it was a lot more spacious than the previous location.  The lobby was large enough for everyone to comfortably get in, get their shoes off, check in, and even mingle for a few minutes before (or after!) class.   The locker rooms were larger too--more bathroom stalls and more showers and in general just more room to move about and change.   The hot room was the most pleasant surprise; like the other areas, it was larger and the flooring was some type of wood/synthetic wood instead of the strange (and stinky!) carpeting that had been in the old studio.   It was surely easier to clean and the faint undercurrent of industrial heating and sweat wasn't nearly as strong.

The temperature of the room sure did seem hotter than I remembered!   More likely, I had just forgotten just what it feels like to be in a room that was around 105 degrees.  Quickly, I unfurled my mat and towel and scampered off to the locker rooms to peel off my outdoor clothes.   It felt much better when I got back into the hot room and sat on my mat with less clothing on.   There were a few people already in the room with me and several more filtered in over the next ten minutes.  It seemed like nearly everybody had that 'yoga body' and were wearing the skimpiest shorts and tops.   My tank top and average length shorts seemed suddenly to be a ridiculous amount of clothing.   I felt a little overdressed but I reminded myself that who knew what the future would bring.  Maybe one day I too would be confident enough to wear tiny scraps of clothing.   Or else, I'd just be so freaking hot I'd not care anymore!

Class began.   I promptly was reminded how much I dislike the very first posture which is really just a breathing exercise: Standing Deep Breathing/Pranayama Series.   The first part of it isn't so bad; it's an inhale with the fingers interlaced under the chin and as you breath in you lift the elbows to the ceiling.  It's the second part that gets me.   The second part requires you to exhale, dropping your head back and bringing your arms back down so your palms, wrists, forearms, and then elbows touch.   For some reason, it really hurts the back and front of my neck to drop my head back!   Maybe it's the weight of the huge coil of hair I have pinned on top of my head?  I don't know.   I swear both sets of Standing Deep Breathing had a million inhales and exhales and sweat was already trickling down my arms.

The Half Moon Pose with Hands to Feet went well enough and it felt especially good to stretch out my right hip.   I spared a few thoughts that Bikram Yoga would help me manage my crappy s-1 joint pain that likes to give me so many problems on a day to day basis.  Awkward Pose came next and it nearly killed me.  Holding my arms out in front of me that long was agonizing.   How on earth can one's arms be so heavy?  I managed as best as I could and only had to drop my arms twice and only for a half second.   I couldn't sit back very far because of my tight hip but I was okay with that.  It will take time.

The next few postures all seemed to follow in a burning but not painfully so manner.  I did my best and ignored the part of my mind that was reminding me how much better I was able to do everything 18 months ago.  It didn't matter.   This is now.   Standing Bow and Balancing Stick had me wobbling and going ow, ow, ow! as my heart started pounding and I felt twice as hot.   Even the insides of my ears felt hot!   Sweat trickled down and dripped off me leaving little wet spots all over my towel.   I  felt a bit trembly and lightheaded and I almost thought it would be most pleasant to go crashing to the floor because then I'd be ON the floor and it looked like a glorious place to be.

No such luck.   Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose was next and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed that one.  I couldn't go as low as I once could but as I stretched away and down I could feel some of the tension in me dropping out and relaxing me.   It seemed I could breath a bit better too and I made it to the floor series with more positive thoughts than I had been having just a few minutes ago.

The floor series went well until the dreaded Camel.   I knew it was coming and I couldn't help but remember what a challenge it had always been.  You kneel with your knees six inches apart and your hands in the small of your back.  Then, there's the dreaded dropping your head back.   If you manage that well enough then you reach for your heels and arch your back with your hips forward.   I began to drop my head back, it hurt and I felt nauseous.  No reaching for the heels for me!  Not this time!  The second set wasn't any better.

There were a few more postures left before the final Savasana.  Doggedly I pushed through those as well, feeling tired, but proud that I made it through the entire class.   Never had it felt so good to lay still and just listen the final few words of the teacher before class ended.   I got up from the floor reluctantly--I felt like laying there for the next hour! Ha!--and staggered from the room.  The cool air from the lobby greeted me and instantly rejuvenated me.   By the time I was changed and walking out to my car I could feel a sense of exhilaration building.

I think I'm hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment