Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Hottest Place in Town

Tropical Yoga Sandman by idylvyldcreative on Etsy
This morning's temperature was below 0 degrees when I drove to the yoga studio and while I can't say walking into a 105 degree hot room was quite as awesome as stepping off a plane onto a tropical island it was still pretty darn good.  It felt good to strip off my outerwear down to my shorts and tank top and just sit and be still in the heat before class started.   I wanted to soak up every little bit as if I could somehow make it last throughout the entire day.

My practice today was certainly not my personal best but I still had a lot of soreness in my right hip and I needed to be kind to myself and take it easy.   As my muscles warmed up some of the pain went away and I had to keep reminding myself to NOT push it.   Today was about just being in the studio and gently stretching and seeking openness for my poor (crappy!) hip.   I took a few precautionary Advil after class and brought my heating pad with me to work and at the end of the day the pain is halved from what it was last night.   I'm looking forward to class tomorrow.

As a little seven class reward to myself, I picked up a new water bottle.  It's a Contigo 24 ounce bottle that has a self sealing function and a carabiner built into the cap.  It's also BPA free and all that good stuff As silly as it may be, I'm more excited that it's green and has Tree of Life branches on it than I am about all its features.   I guess the self sealing function is pretty handy at work because I don't have to worry about knocking it over and it spilling on my keyboard.    Oh, and the 24 ounce thing is pretty hand too because I don't have to keep leaping up to refill my tiny water glass.   Hmmm...I guess I am pretty excited about the other features too.


I'm wondering how much water is normal to rehydrate after a Bikram Yoga Class.  I've had about 96 ounces of water, a couple of cups (small 6 ounce cups) of coffee, and one glass of crystal light.   I'm still thirsty but I don't seem to have quite enough room in my tummy to fit much more in and I feel like surely that's been plenty of fluids to rehydrate.

The other day after class a few friends and I went out to dinner and I'm not proud to say that I didn't have anything healthy.  I ordered chicken tenders and steak fries solely because I wanted something I could load up with salt.   And load up I did.  I think I might have grossed out those at my table but I couldn't help myself.  Even after I ate the chicken and a couple of fries and was full, I wanted to lick the salt off the remaining fries.   I grossed myself out with that thought but I couldn't help it.   My body was just craving salt after sweating so much.   I think I need to do some research about hydration and electrolytes while practicing Bikram Yoga.   Coconut water seems to be a big thing but the one time I tasted some I thought it was absolutely disgusting.   I picked up another container of it this afternoon but this time with orange added to it for flavor and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll like it.

I'm skeptical.

No comments:

Post a Comment